Happy Wednesday! I’ve got a TON of fun projects going on right now (typical) so I’m hoping to use this weekend to get some of them knocked out so I can post!
Anyway, last weekend I hosted, with my mom (and dad), a shower for my cousin that recently got engaged. Typically when our family throws showers it’s a female only, 12-2, chicken salad thing. My cousin is a free spirit and does things by her own book , so I thought up a new idea for our family; engagement party/couples shower. I figured this would be a perfect way to have the family together to get to know her fiance a bit better since we’ve only met him once and to just hang out. So the kiddos stayed home and the big kids came over to my parents for a kind of upscale BBQ.
Here was the invite:
Something you may not know about me is that I love to design invites and announcements. I made this bad boy in PowerPoint believe it or not. I will for sure be posting more about my pretty numerous invites/announcements I’ve made. I got them printed on 100# cardstock at my work’s print shop (I paid out of my pocket of course) that does personal printing too. Printing them cost me a whopping $3.85!! Can’t beat it!
Here’s the menu that we served:
We decided to keep it BBQish since it was Memorial Day weekend and that’s a tradition, but we wanted to make it easier to eat. Plus we had 44 people and wouldn’t have had enough table seats anyway. We also had some fruit and cheese on another counter b/c we ran out of space (we massively over bought).
Food spread (the hot stuff was under the foil to stay warm when I took the pic.)
- Pulled pork BBQ sliders
- 2 types of humus – roasted garlic and roasted red pepper from here
- Variety of raw veggies
- Fruit (watermelon, strawberries, grapes, blue berries, raspberries, cantaloupe, honey dew melon)
- Shrimp cocktail
- Cheese (mild cheddar, cheddar jack, and 1 other kind that I’m forgetting) and crackers
- Potato wedges with Kicked Up Fry Sauce (1 tbs Sriracha sauce, 1 tbs lime juice, 1/2 cup mayo. Add some sour cream or something too b/c it’s like mayo with fire!) and sour cream and chives.
The Desserts (these are just a sneak peak, but I’ll give you the breakdowns soon so come back!):
Strawberry Lemonade, Chocolate S’more, and Pineapple Angel Food Cupcakes
- Pineapple and angel food cupcake with cool whip frosting
- Chocolate S’more Cupcake with marshmallow frosting
- Strawberry Cupcake with Lemonade frosting
Cupcake “tree” I got a couple of years ago at an antique mall really make the presentation I think
You can kind of see the lights on the railing, and the side table. (My big sis is in the yellow and I’m ducking behind her refilling the lemonade )
- Lots of black and white plaid (b/c it’s a country fabric but it’s black/white so it’s classy LOL)
- We used some little white pails and put a variety of wild flowers in them
- We also used old cans as our votive holders (since it was outside we needed to block the wind) and punched little holes in them and tied strips of fabric around them to give them a little “sas”.
So I tried to get pics of everything, but everyone showed up RIGHT on time so I kind of ran out of time. Anyway, not sure if you can see in this picture of my lovely family, but my mom and dad made these super cute little tables that hung onto the edge of the deck. Then my mom sewed little table cloths that custom fit the tables. Of course we put little lights up too which did make it really cute in the evening.
Fixings for an Arnold Palmer and John Dailey
- Ice tea
- Citrus vodka
- Beer- Bud, Bud light, Bud Select
- Wine- variety of whites and rose
- We put a recipe on the table for an Arnold Palmer (tea and lemonade) and a John Daily (the same but +vodka)
- Fresh mint from my mom’s garden
So you may be wondering what the little comment at the bottom of the invite it? Well I’ve got a fun little gift I’m making for her (note… I said making not made… I just need more hours in the day) since her and her man live out in the big CA and the whole rest of the fam is here. Just want to give her a little bit of us to take with her .
Anyway, it wasn’t super fancy but it was a really nice time to spend with the family. What other fun themes for showers are there? Please share because I literally host showers every month (doing one this weekend too) and I’m running out of ideas!
Have a good one!