Old Chair Re-do

25 Apr

Howdy! In every room (pretty much) you need seating. So when I needed chairs for my Craft Room, it was quite difficult. I knew I wanted something with a cushion since I’d be sitting for a long time in them and I wanted something pretty. So I got these. Don’t be jealous.

Pretty huh? Tehehe. Not really. But they were only $10 a piece that my mom picked up from her neighbor. Once I got them in my hot little hands I got to work. Now I knew I wanted something bright since the room is really pretty bland (well kinda…) so I went for bright. I mean… I went for really bright. But I like them. They look like lemon lime soda per my sister. They just look happy in my opinion.

Materials:

  • Spray primer
  • 2 cans of spray paint (pretty much 1 for each chair)
  • Cloth to wipe um down
  • 1 yard upholstery fabric
  • Staple gun
  • Scrap white fabric (I only used this b/c I didn’t want to paint the seats so it’s not always necessary)

Here’s the step-by-step as it’s actually a pretty simple process.

The only hard thing about this project was the backs of the chair. They couldn’t come off. It was really weird. I have no clue how those things were secured in there so I just opted to paint them. I used spray primer from Lowes, Rustoleum 2x Primer and the green is also from Lowes by Valspar. I couldn’t find an actual name, but not quite neon, but not quite green was the color. Very descriptive I know.

Once I got these guys painted, I left them dry and set to work on re-upholstering them. I had a hard time choosing the fabric. I found a really pretty damask grey and white fabric, but I figured that’d be too much with the wall. So I opted for a white and yellow chevron fabric that I found at Hancock Fabrics. I just loved it and it happened to match perfectly the yellow I used on the chandelier and thread holder.

A pretty simple project, but I really do think it makes a huge difference. Here’s a side-by-side comparison for you.

Hope you have all enjoyed my “Lemon-Lime” chair :). It’s actually really comfy and painting over the vinyl wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. just a nice coat of the primer and it stuck really well.

Stop back in later this week for some more fun crafting ideas!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: